- Dish type
- Coffee drinks
This is a sweet, indulgent, warming drink for those who want a change from hot chocolate. The flavour is reminiscent of an aromatic gingerbread, with ginger, cinnamon and cloves all making an appearance! Serve with a gingerbread biscuit on the side for a real treat.
58 people made this
- 175g black treacle
- 4 tablespoons dark brown soft sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1.5L hot brewed coffee
- 250ml single cream
- 100g whipped cream
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
MethodPrep:20min ›Extra time:10min chilling › Ready in:30min
- In a small bowl, mix together the black treacle, dark brown soft sugar, bicarb, ginger and cinnamon until well blended. Cover and refrigerate for at least 10 minutes.
- Add about 60ml of coffee to each cup, then stir in about a tablespoon of the spice mixture until dissolved. Fill cup to within an inch of the top with coffee. Stir in single cream to taste, then garnish with whipped cream and a light dusting of ground clove.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(57)
Reviews in English (46)
Delicious!!-25 Mar 2016
by Sarah Jo
This was good, but the spices weren't near close enough to gingerbread for me. I made this a recipe for one and I used fat free half-n-half instead of full fat and I used Cafe Verona brewed coffee. It's tasty but not quite there for me.-26 Oct 2010
This is delicious! I am enjoying one of these now. All I had to use was Land O Lakes fat free creamer and I forgot to add whipped cream and it is still so rich and good that I will be skipping lunch. It's not a bad idea to strain out some of the spices so you don't get a big, spicy mouthful at the end.-30 Dec 2002