- Meat and poultry
- Popular chicken
- Easy chicken
- Quick chicken
This is a recipe for avgolemono, the classic Greek soup made with egg and lemon. Delicious!
412 people made this
- 2L chicken stock
- 125ml fresh lemon juice
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 6 tablespoons chicken stock granules
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 50g margarine
- 4 tablespoons plain flour
- 160g cooked white rice
- 150g diced, cooked chicken meat
- 16 slices lemon
- 8 egg yolks
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:30min ›Ready in:45min
- In a large pot, combine the chicken stock, lemon juice, carrots, onions, celery, stock granules and white pepper. Bring to the boil on high, then simmer for 20 minutes.
- Blend the butter and the flour together. Then gradually add it to the soup mixture. Simmer for 10 minutes more, stirring frequently.
- Meanwhile, beat the egg yolks until light in colour. Gradually add some of the hot soup to the egg yolks in a thin stream, stirring constantly. Return the egg mixture to the soup pot and heat through. Add the rice and chicken. Ladle hot soup into bowls and garnish with lemon slices.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(526)
Reviews in English (412)
This is an excellent recipe! We have had Avegolemono (it's Greek name)many, many times in restaurants. Our FAVORITE makes it a little less rich (less eggs),a lot more rice and chicken, and with just-a-little thinner broth. I will adjust this recipe to our tastes next time;but this was a wonderful example of Greek Lemon Rice soup. Thank you so much,for the recipe! I suspect the reviews that said it was too salty, were using 'boullion' or a brand of soup base that was very salty. My brand soup base "Vogue" did not have a lot of salt (I bought it at an health food store). Also, I never add the rice into the large pot;but only in the INDIVIDUAL serving bowls; I mix it in JUST prior to serving. It works better for leftovers;you never wind up with puffed up rice mush this way.-12 Apr 2005
I think this is a great soup! I as usual changed a few things. First I do not precook the rice, I added olive oil to pan, and cooked the chopped onion, carrots,celery and rice for about 10 min. Than I added the broth, lemon juice, 1/2 cup white wine, and 1 can of "Creamed Chicken soup" instead of the butter and flour. I used only FOUR egg yolks. I also did not add more chicken. Prepared this way my boys really liked it - a good thickness, but not too thick. Really GOOD!!!-16 Mar 2004
I was only going to give this 4 stars since it was not a hit with my family, though I loved it, and my best friend and her two kids were fighting over the sample that I brought over to them. Alas, I finished the remains when I returned home and decided it needs 5 stars.Made the following changes:just used 1 1/2 TBS chicken soup base in water; eliminated the celery;sauteed onion with 2 cloves garlic in EVOO before adding to soup; only used 2 TBS butter & flour to make a light roux, added some broth to the roux before adding back into soup; added 1/2 cup uncooked orzo pasta during last 10-15 mins of cooking; only used 4 egg yolks; used a roasted chicken from grocery which I skinned, boned, and chopped before adding to soup; garnished w/ fresh, minced parsley-27 Oct 2006