- Meat and poultry
- Roast chicken
This is a spectacularly simple roast poussin recipe that offers deliciously different flavours - honey, poppy seeds, mustard and ginger combine for poussin that is mouth-watering!
54 people made this
- 2 poussin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
MethodPrep:10min ›Cook:1hr ›Ready in:1hr10min
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Spray rack of shallow roasting tin with cooking spray, or lightly coat with oil.
- Cut each poussin in half; place skin side down in roasting tin. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Whisk together the honey, poppy seeds, mustard and ginger. Brush over the poussin.
- Roast uncovered for 1 hour turning once.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(56)
Reviews in English (44)
by Karen Eyers
I cooked the hens whole instead of cutting in half because I liked the look of serving a whole hen to my company. Worked out fine and they were delicious. I accidentally mixed the salt and pepper in with the honey, but it didn't seem to matter. It was hard to get the honey mixture to spread onto the hens so I actually stuck them in the oven for 3 minutes to get the skin dryer and warmer and that helped.-26 Jul 2006
I added about a Tablesppon of fresh crushed garlic and it gave it such a kick that the 2 hens I made were not enough and most of my other dishes were over looked because they all wanted more of the hens! ADD FRESH GARLIC, YOU WONT REGRET IT!-17 Dec 2004
We served this recipe at a retirement party and everyone enjoyed it. We cooked 16 cornish that night! They were easy to make and required only a little attention during cooking.-06 Jun 2001