- Meat and poultry
This is a type of Puerto Rican sandwich that is missing the bread! Fried green plantains replace the bread and are used to sandwich a tasty stack of steak, cheese, tomato and lettuce, all spiced with garlic, cumin and oregano.
21 people made this
- 475ml vegetable oil for frying
- 1 green plantain, peeled and halved lengthways
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 20g beef skirt or flank steak, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pinch cumin
- 1 pinch dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 Cheddar cheese slice, cut in half
- 2 slices tomato
- 3 leaves lettuce
MethodPrep:20min ›Cook:5min ›Ready in:25min
- Heat 475ml vegetable oil in a large, deep frying pan or deep fryer to 175 degrees C. Place plantain halves in the oil and cook 1 to 2 minutes, until they float. Remove from oil and drain on kitchen paper.
- Place plantain halves between 2 cutting boards. Press to flatten. Place the flattened plantains back in the oil and cook for 2-3 minutes, until golden brown. Drain on kitchen paper.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large frying pan. Add the garlic, steak, onion, cumin and oregano. Cook, stirring frequently, until steak is cooked through.
- To serve, spread mayonnaise on one of the plantain slices. Top with cheese, steak and onion mixture, lettuce and tomato. Place the other plantain half on top to form a sandwich. Cut in half and serve!
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(23)
Reviews in English (19)
Born and raised in Chicago as a Puerto Rican, we enjoy these with thick slices of cooked pork (Jamon) instead of steak. My personal addition is a slice of avacado. This is a very easy and special traditional meal. When preparing to take out...wrap each sandwich individually in foil to help keep ingredients together...but best fresh and hot! YUM!!!-18 Nov 2008
¡Qué Rico! I LOVE these sandwiches. They make you happy when you make them and eat them...at least they do in our house. I always made mine with chicken, but the skirt steak is excellente!-07 Sep 2007
I don't get it....I did not like this at all. The parts of the dish don't blend well. I also thought the directions were lacking at times.-14 Aug 2009