- Dish type
- Side dish
- Vegetable side dishes
This divine combination of sweet red peppers and red onions goes well with lamb, and leftovers add something special to an ordinary sandwich.
140 people made this
- 2 red peppers, cut into strips
- 2 red onions, cut into strips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- knob butter
- 4 tablespoons red wine (optional)
- pinch salt
- pinch ground black pepper
- pinch chopped fresh basil
MethodPrep:10min ›Cook:30min ›Ready in:40min
- In a saucepan over a medium heat, combine red pepper, onion, oil and butter; sauté for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium low and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the onions and peppers soften.
- If desired, stir red wine into the vegetables and cook until the wine evaporates; approximately 30 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and basil.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(104)
Reviews in English (78)
Used different ingredients.Everytime we have (any) steak, my husband requests nothing other than onions & mushrooms and since he LOVES red peppers, I decided to give this a try. I made it per recipe, but threw in 4 semi-chopped, portabella mushrooms. Not only did it smell great while cooking, but tasted great as well! I didn't add sultanas. Thanks Crow, for the tasty steak topper!-15 Sep 2008
Altered ingredient amounts.Absolutely lovely! my husband loved it with some fresh foccacia bread. So easy and yummy. I used only oil, though, no butter and added some thyme as had no basil. I also added some balsamic vinegar instead of wine. Definetely one to make again and again. Thanks so much!-15 Sep 2008
by LINDA MCLEAN
Something else.Cooked only about 15 min after adding wine so peppers still had some body...would be too mushy if cooked for 30 min. Wonderful flavour.-15 Sep 2008