- Dish type
- Celebration cakes
- Birthday cake
- Kids' birthday cakes
- Birthday cakes for girls
These cupcakes are easy to make and vibrantly coloured. They are perfect for Valentine's day. Patrick's day.
223 people made this
IngredientsMakes: 24 cupcakes
- 520g sponge cake mix
- 300ml water
- 75ml vegetable oil
- 3 egg whites
- 8 drops red food colouring
- 2 drops raspberry candy oil
MethodPrep:20min ›Cook:20min ›Ready in:40min
- Preheat an oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Line a standard muffin tin with paper cases.
- Beat the sponge cake mix, water, vegetable oil and egg whites together on low speed for 30 seconds, then on medium for 2 minutes, until smooth. Fill paper cases 1/3 full with white batter; set aside.
- Stir 4 drops of red food colouring into the remaining bowl of batter to make the batter pink, stir in the raspberry oil. Pour 1/3 of pink batter into a resealable plastic bag and set aside.
- Mix more food colouring into the remaining bowl of pink batter until it is an orange/red colour and pour the batter into a resealable plastic bag. Cut a corner off the bag, stick the open tip into the centre of each cup of white batter and squeeze in about two tablespoons of red batter.
- Cut the corner off the bag with the pink batter, stick the open tip into the centre of the red batter and squeeze about 1 tablespoon pink batter into each paper case.
- Bake the layered cupcakes in the preheated oven until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool completely before frosting.
Raspberry candy oil is an American flavouring oil used in baking. You can purchase it online.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(237)
Reviews in English (180)
I love this recipe! Really worked. I now have 12 fluffy pink cakes, iced and beautiful.Thank you!-01 Jul 2012
dry and very disappointing-02 Aug 2013
HOW TO INCREASE A 15.25 OZ CAKE MIX TO 18.25 OZ. Either buy an extra box of cake mix or make your own. Super-Coupon Queen Jill Cataldo said, the formula for Three-Ounce Cake Mix “Upsizer” goes as follows: Whisk together 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 cup sugar, 2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon baking soda. “Store in a clean mason jar. When you wish to increase a 15.25 ounce cake mix to 18.25 ounces, add three ounces of this mix (6 tablespoons) to your existing cake mix.”Hi! I am the submitter of this (technique) recipe. I know using a box cake really isn't a recipe, but this site contacted me asking me to submit this because of the requests they received. So with that said, I submitted this so everyone can use my technique and have fun. You can use a box cake or a cake from scratch. I used Wilton (No Taste) RED concentrated paste icing color, and added a few drops of raspberry candy oil to the pink batter for flavor. You can add any flavor candy oil or extract. Someone asked how to get the swirled look on the frosting. Here is how it's done: Paint a vertical stripe maybe 5" or so on the inside of a pastry bag, using a gel or paste tint. Starting at the tip end, you can paint one stripe, two stripes (side by side or one stripe on each side of the bag), or use different colors and paint a bunch of stripes. Just depends on the look you want. Then add your frosting, and swirl it on the cupcake. I hope that made sense.-04 Feb 2010